Frankly, My Dear, Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Big 10 - Actresses I Like, But... (Plus: Poll Results!)

Hello there, all of you out in Blogland!

I'm sorry for my rant yesterday. Well, actually, I'm not sorry... but anyway, I'll just inform you all that I'm feeling better. It took a few weeping sessions to get through, but I'm okay. I think.

Anyway, I'll just busy myself in my Blog, a good use of technology. So, before I get into today's topic, I'd like to give the final results of the "1939 Golden Year of Film" poll. Your options were -

  • "Goodbye, Mr. Chips"
  • "Wuthering Heights"
  • "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"
  • "The Wizard of Oz"
  • "Stagecoach"
  • "Ninotchka"
  • "Dark Victory"
  • "Of Mice and Men"
  • "Love Affair"
  • "Gone with the Wind"
9 votes came in. "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" is the winner with four, "Gone with the Wind" and "The Wizard of Oz" tie at two each, and "Dark Victory" comes in third place with one. The rest didn't receive any votes at all! :(

I'm telling you the results because the poll will be going down in a little bit and replaced with a poll about Natalie Wood in honor of her upcoming birthday. Be sure and vote, vote, vote!

Okay, now, down to business. A few days ago I posted a Blog about my ten favorite actresses of all time. I closed the blog with a promise to post about ten actresses I like, but haven't seen enough of their movies and hope to.

Well, here is the blog as promised! (: (This is an no particular order):

1. Greta Garbo


"My Favorite Swede", as I like to refer to her, will always be Ingrid (: 
But Garbo is classic, and therefore I vow to watch more of her. (Btw - don't you adore her hair in that photo? I want it!)

2. Barbara Stanwyck


Maybe it's just me, but I've realized a lot of appeal for Barbara, or "Stany", and that's encouraged me to see more of her. Unfortunately, I have only seen her in "The Lady Eve," "Double Indemnity," and "Christmas in Connecticut."

3. Rita Hayworth


If you've visited my "Favorite Movies and TV Shows" tab, you're well aware that I've listed "Gilda" as one of my favorite films. That's a Rita film, but it's among the few I have seen! I need to see more of the "Love Goddess" - did you know one of my aunts was named after her?

4. Ava Gardner


I like Ava, but haven't seen enough of her either. I hope to watch "Mogambo" - I hear it is not a terrific film, but apparently Ava is hilarious in it and that I'm looking forward to! (So says Via Margutta 51, another Blog)

5.  Lana Turner


Yep, that's right. I haven't seen enough of the "The Sweater Girl," either!

6. Lauren Bacall


Yes, Lauren, too! How embarrassing.. :) Actually, I recently saw her in "Sex and the Single Girl," with Natalie Wood, Tony Curtis, and Henry Fonda. Not the best movie, but she's hilarious.

7. Judy Garland


Judy, Judy, Judy! I've seen some of her essential films, and that I am proud of - "The Wizard of Oz" and "Meet Me in St. Louis," is what I mean, of course. I've also seen "In the Good Old Summertime", and her spot in "Ziegfield Follies" (which I watched because of Lucy). However, she's so talented, and I can always see more of her.

8. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford 


^^ Oh my God, what an interesting photo! Anyway, I have seen both Bette and Joan's films. I am reading Joan's biography currently - as the sidebar will tell you - and hope to jump into Bette's afterwards. This is in all in impending research for a "Bette vs. Joan" Blog I hope to do soon!! What side am I on? I still need to figure out! 

9. Vivien Leigh


Yes, Scarlett O'Hara herself! And this Blog is called Frankly My Dear

10. Carole Lombard


She and Lucy were great friends and Lucy always insisted that Carole was the real Queen of Comedy. There is also a rumor that Carole appeared in Lucy's dreams while Lucy was contemplating on whether or not to do "I Love Lucy," and Carole encouraged her (in the dream) to "give it a whirl." (Thank you, Carole!) I've seen her in "Nothing Sacred" and "To Be or Not To Be," and quite enjoyed her, so I hope to see more of her in the future. It's sad how she died so young (in a plane crash) and her marriage to Clark Gable sounds interesting!

Well, there it is! Of course, I haven't not seen any of their movies - that would be shameful! - I just want to see more, I guess. So I'll add tons of movies featuring these ladies into my Netflix queue, I guess!

What about you? Which actresses do love - but want to see more of? (If that makes any sense. :D)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and appreciate them so much. Comments don't require moderator's approval but I will remove your comment if it is spam or offensive. Thank you.